Eranga Ukwatta, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Systems and Computer Engineering
Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5B6, Canada
Email: ukwatta at sce.carleton.ca
Tel: 613-520-2600 ext: 2963
Fax: (613) 520 5727
Office: Canal Building 6202
PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Western University, 2013
MESc, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Western University, 2009
BSc Eng, Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Moratuwa, 2005
Eranga Ukwatta joined Carleton University as an Assistant Professor in 2016. Prior to that, he was a multi-center postdoctoral fellow in Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University (2013-2015) and Sunnybrook Research Institute (2014-2015). His primary research is driven by the emerging need for robust image analysis methodologies for patient-specific analysis and modeling of cardiovascular structure and function. He was a recipient of NSERC postdoctoral fellowship, JHU BME Centennial postdoctoral fellowship, and MITACS Elevate postdoctoral fellowship (declined).
- Medical Image Analysis
- Image Segmentation and Registration
- Myocardial Tissue Characterization
- Machine Learning for Medical Imaging Applications
- Analysis of Digital Histopathology Images
- Computational Modeling of the Heart
News and Events:
- April 5, 2017 - Eran Ukwatta delivered an ingenious talk entitled "Machine learning in medical imaging" to the community at Sunnyside library.
- March 19, 2017 - NSERC Engage Plus grant application entitled "Further development of automated image analysis pipeline for semiconductor circuit reverse engineering" was successful.
- January 1, 2017 - Jinny Lee wins Bill Hersh Memorial Graduate Scholarship for 2016-2017. The scholarship is awarded to an outstanding female graduate student enrolled in an engineering program.
- January 1, 2017 - Fatemeh Zabihollahy is joining our lab as a PhD student in the Winter 2017. She will be working on deep learning techniques for image segmentation.
- November 18, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta gives a seminar on Biomedical Engineering in Health Care, which was organized by the Carleton University Biomedical Engineering Society-CUBES.
- September 19, 2016 - Bruno Trindade is joining our lab as a postdoctoral fellow. He will be working on developing image segmentation algorithms to extract circuit layouts from ICs.
- September 1, 2016 - 1 PhD (Sina Salsahibi) and 3 masters (Nadia Farrag, Jinny Lee, Alfred Frank) students are joining our lab in the Fall 2016.
- August 22, 2016 - NSERC Engage grant application entitled "Development of automated image analysis pipeline for semiconductor circuit reverse engineering" was successful.
- May 31, 2016 - George Hanna won the first place award for the oral presentation entitled "Evaluation of a T1 Mapping Technique for Stratifying Patient Risk: A Preliminary Study using Computer Simulations of Cardiac Electrophysiology" at IEEE EMBS International Student Conference 2016 in Ottawa, Canada.
- April 11, 2016 - A conference paper entitled "Evaluation of a T1 Mapping Technique for Stratifying Patient Risk: A Preliminary Study using Computer Simulations of Cardiac Electrophysiology" written by George Hanna got accepted to IEEE EMBS International Student Conference 2016 in Ottawa, Canada.
- April 8, 2016 - NSERC Discovery grant application entitled "Development of Image Analysis Algorithms for Computational Assessment of Cardiac Structure and Function" was successful.
- March 31, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta has won a first place poster award at the 14th Imaging Network Ontario Symposium. His poster was entitled "Virtual electrophysiological study using T1 mapping techniques improves sensitivity in predicting adverse arrhythmic events in post-infarction patients."
- March 10, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta gave an invited research seminar on cardiac image analysis at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute."
- February 10, 2016 - An abstract entitled "Virtual electrophysiological study using T1 mapping techniques improves sensitivity in predicting adverse arrhythmic events in post-infarction patients." is accepted at Heart Rhythm Society Meeting held in San Francisco on May 4-7, 2016.