Eranga Ukwatta, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Systems and Computer Engineering
Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5B6, Canada
Email: ukwatta at sce.carleton.ca
Tel: 613-520-2600 ext: 2963
Fax: (613) 520 5727
Office: Canal Building 6202
PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Western University, 2013
MESc, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Western University, 2009
BSc Eng, Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Moratuwa, 2005
Eranga Ukwatta joined Carleton University as an Assistant Professor in 2016. Prior to that, he was a multi-center postdoctoral fellow in Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University (2013-2015) and Sunnybrook Research Institute (2014-2015). His primary research is driven by the emerging need for robust image analysis methodologies for patient-specific analysis and modeling of cardiovascular structure and function. He was a recipient of NSERC postdoctoral fellowship, JHU BME Centennial postdoctoral fellowship, and MITACS Elevate postdoctoral fellowship (declined).
- Medical Image Analysis
- Image Segmentation and Registration
- Myocardial Tissue Characterization
- Machine Learning for Medical Imaging Applications
- Analysis of Digital Histopathology Images
- Computational Modeling of the Heart
News and Events:
- February 22, 2018 - Fatemeh and Nadia received OGS scholarships! Congratulations to both!
- February 19, 2018 - Nadia's journal paper entitled "Effect of T1-mapping technique and diminished image resolution on quantification of infarct mass and its ability in predicting adverse ICD therapy" got accepted to Medical Physics! Congratulations!
- December 22, 2017 - Eran Ukwatta is a recipient of the Faculty Research Award for the Faculty of Engineering and Design for 2018/19. This award, in the amount of $10,000 (to be used for research purposes only) is being offered jointly by the Office of the Vice-President (Research and International) and the Faculty in recognition of the quality of his research and his research agenda
- December 22, 2017 - Jinu received received Jinu Kurian – Marie Carter Memorial. Congratulations to her!
- December 6, 2017 - Eran Ukwatta received an OCE VIP 1 + NSERC Engage grant for the project “Development of an Automated Image Processing Framework for Segmenting Floor Plans for Optimal Placement of Internet Access Points “. This grant allows him to form an initial collaboration with Ericsson Canada, an industry partner in Kanata.
- November 3, 2017 - Dr. Patrick Boyle from Johns Hopkins University visited our lab and presented his work on "New Frontiers in Cardiac Arrhythmia Research: The Emergent Power of Computational Modelling".
- October 7, 2017 - Congratulations to Fatemeh and Fatma for their accepted papers for SPIE Medical Imaging 2018.
- October 4, 2017 - Sina Salsahibi has been awarded Ontario Trillium Scholarship of $160,000! Congratulations to him!
- September 14, 2017 - Jinny and Nadia are presenting their research work at the CANeT Meeting in Halifax, NS.
- September 7, 2017 - Prof. Jing Yuan from Xian University visited our lab and gave a presentation on his work.
- Setember 4, 2017 - Fatemeh Zabihollahy received the Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship in Science and Technology. Congratulations to her!
- August 1, 2017 - Ahmed Alzahrani joined our lab as a PhD student. He will be working on video magnification.
- April 5, 2017 - Eran Ukwatta delivered an ingenious talk entitled "Machine learning in medical imaging" to the community at Sunnyside library.
- March 19, 2017 - NSERC Engage Plus grant application entitled "Further development of automated image analysis pipeline for semiconductor circuit reverse engineering" was successful.
- January 1, 2017 - Jinny Lee wins Bill Hersh Memorial Graduate Scholarship for 2016-2017. The scholarship is awarded to an outstanding female graduate student enrolled in an engineering program.
- January 1, 2017 - Fatemeh Zabihollahy is joining our lab as a PhD student in the Winter 2017. She will be working on deep learning techniques for image segmentation.
- November 18, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta gives a seminar on Biomedical Engineering in Health Care, which was organized by the Carleton University Biomedical Engineering Society-CUBES.
- September 19, 2016 - Bruno Trindade is joining our lab as a postdoctoral fellow. He will be working on developing image segmentation algorithms to extract circuit layouts from ICs.
- September 1, 2016 - 1 PhD (Sina Salsahibi) and 3 masters (Nadia Farrag, Jinny Lee, Alfred Frank) students are joining our lab in the Fall 2016.
- August 22, 2016 - NSERC Engage grant application entitled "Development of automated image analysis pipeline for semiconductor circuit reverse engineering" was successful.
- May 31, 2016 - George Hanna won the first place award for the oral presentation entitled "Evaluation of a T1 Mapping Technique for Stratifying Patient Risk: A Preliminary Study using Computer Simulations of Cardiac Electrophysiology" at IEEE EMBS International Student Conference 2016 in Ottawa, Canada.
- April 11, 2016 - A conference paper entitled "Evaluation of a T1 Mapping Technique for Stratifying Patient Risk: A Preliminary Study using Computer Simulations of Cardiac Electrophysiology" written by George Hanna got accepted to IEEE EMBS International Student Conference 2016 in Ottawa, Canada.
- April 8, 2016 - NSERC Discovery grant application entitled "Development of Image Analysis Algorithms for Computational Assessment of Cardiac Structure and Function" was successful.
- March 31, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta has won a first place poster award at the 14th Imaging Network Ontario Symposium. His poster was entitled "Virtual electrophysiological study using T1 mapping techniques improves sensitivity in predicting adverse arrhythmic events in post-infarction patients."
- March 10, 2016 - Eran Ukwatta gave an invited research seminar on cardiac image analysis at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute."
- February 10, 2016 - An abstract entitled "Virtual electrophysiological study using T1 mapping techniques improves sensitivity in predicting adverse arrhythmic events in post-infarction patients." is accepted at Heart Rhythm Society Meeting held in San Francisco on May 4-7, 2016.